The Q&A Archives: Shrubs With Small Roots

Question: I recently had to have a shrub pulled out of my front yard because the root system caused damage to the pvc pipe for the sprinklers. The location of the shrub was under the front window, facing S/SE. An area that does not see much more than the morning sun.

What can I plant there that will not cause any problems with the sprinkler system? Perennials?

Answer: There are very few shrubs with small root systems, and since you've already been through the problems invasive roots can cause, you'll probably want to stick with perennials in that garden spot! Some dwarf shrubs do have small root systems; daphne, for example, would be a good candidate for the site. Perennial suggestions include astilbe, bleeding heart, lilium and hosta.

Hope you find just the right plant to fill that void in your garden!