The Q&A Archives: Searching for Info about Chitting Flower Seeds

Question: I came across the term "chit" used as a verb, on a flower packet. it was used as follows....."chit the planting medium"...I have never seen this word used in this fashion and cannot find it in any dictionary. Would you folks know the meaning of chit used this way? steve bekeritis danvers, MA

Answer: The only reference I know of to "chit" is used in "chitting potatoes". This means to presprout them, or expose them to growing conditions before actually planting. In the case of flowers, I'd say soaking the seeds in warm water or placing them in the freezer overnight, would be considered a way of "chitting" the seeds. If you let me know what flower you are growing, I can tell you what the pretreatment should be.