The Q&A Archives: Starting Lavender From Seed

Question: I have tried for the last 3 years to start lavender from seed with no sucess. Have tried variety of seed brands. All other seeds I start do fine...except lavender. There were no specific instructions on planting, so planted like the rest of the garden plants and herbs. Thank you for your help.

Answer: Lavender seeds require a pre-chill treatment before they'll germinate, so perhaps that's why you haven't had much success with them. You can start the seeds indoors after chilling them in the refrigerator for 4-6 weeks, or you can sow the seeds outdoors in the autumn where they'll get a natural cold treatment.

For indoor seed starting, place the seeds together with moistened growing medium, seal in a plastic bag, and refrigerate for 4-6 weeks. Remove the seeds and sow on the surface of moistened seed starting mix. Press the seeds in with your finger, then cover the trays or pots with plastic wrap to help hold in moisture. Seeds will sprout in 15-90 days when kept at 55F-65F degrees.

Hope you have better success with your next batch of lavender seeds!