The Q&A Archives: Planting Day lilies From Seed

Question: Last fall I gathered the seeds from daylilies with intentions of planting them in my yard.
How do I start daylilies from seeds?
1. Do they need to experience a freeze?
2. Do I start indoors and transplant later?
3. How deep do I plant them?

Thanks for your advice!

Answer: Daylily seeds will need a pre-chill treatment in the refrigerator prior to being planted. The easiest way to provide this chill is to mix the seeds together with moistened growing medium, seal in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 6 weeks. At the end of the chilling period remove the seeds, sow 1/8" deep in moistened seed starting mix, and put in a warm place. Seeds will germinate in 15-49 days when kept at 60F - 70F. You can start the seeds indoors after pre-chill, or directly outdoors in a prepared garden plot if the weather is warm. Daylilies prefer rich, moist soils and full sunshine to part afternoon shade.