The Q&A Archives: Safe Wood Preservatives

Question: I'm interested in information about wood preservatives to put on garden stakes which are safe to use in a vegetable garden. Are Thompson water seals or spar varnishes suitable above and below ground? If you have some brand names and the manufacturers names of suitable products I would very much appreciate it. Thank you. D.Feldman Warrensville Heights, OH

Answer: I found this recommendation in "Rodale's Low-Maintenance Gardening Techniques", published in 1995. I trust their word on what is safe in the garden, since the Rodale Institute is one of the foremost proponents of organic gardening techniques. First,choose a decay-resistant wood like red cedar, and finish it with Thompson's Wood Protector, followed by a coat of high-quality exterior paint.