The Q&A Archives: No Buds On Lilac Tree/bush

Question: I planted a lilac bush/tree about six years ago. It has never done well, each spring there are only a few small flowers/buds that appear. What can I do to improve its blossoms? I am in a marshy area on the ocean, there are many neighbors who have beautiful lilacs, but mine do not look so good. Any secrets? Thanks.

Answer: There are two common reasons for why a lilac might not bloom. assuming your shrub has grown well otherwise. One is pruning at the wrong time and the other is not enough sunlight. Lilacs should only be pruned immediately after flowering in the spring. Pruning later in the season will remove the blooming wood for the comin year ahead. Lilacs do best in full sun all day long, or if in partial ahde, then at least six hours of full sun including the hour of noon. As far as secrets go, most lilacs do well in average soil but they do seem to appreciate a good dose of well rotted manure and/or compost early in the spring.