The Q&A Archives: Preparing Soil for Roses

Question: I am planting a rose hedge in an area fifty feet long and I was wondering what soil amendments and preparations I should do to the soil before I plant them. Thank you for you help! Donna Stephens Hermon, ME

Answer: Roses love organic matter, composted manures and a neutral pH. First, have a soil test done on the soil to determine the avaialble nutrients. Amend the soil with a 3-4" layer of composte manure tilled into the area before planting. Also, based onthe soil test, add the appropriate fertilizers and lime to bring the soil to optimum balance. When planting roses, dig a deep hole (they have a large root system), don't amend the soil since you want the roots to eventually grow into the native soil, place the plant in the hole with the graft 2" below the soil line (unless it's a rose on it's own roots) and water it in well. Mulch with organic materials such as bark chips and keep it watered this first summer and it should grow well for you.