The Q&A Archives: Resources for Converting a Fountain into a Watergarden

Question: I have a large 2-tiered fountain in my back yard. The first tier sits directly on the ground and is about 10 inches deep. The second tier sits on a pedestal in the middle of the first tier and is about 4.5 feet off the ground. I have been thinking about converting the fountain into a water garden. Is this something that could be done relatively easily? Can you recommend any good "how-to" resources ? Laurie Anderson New Albany, OH

Answer: I don't think your fountain would make a good water garden. I don't think the base is deep enough for water lilies and other aquatic plants to grow well. The minimum depth recommeded is usually 18 inches. If you want to start a water garden consult with the company below for prefabricated ponds and equipment. William Tricker, Inc. 7125 Tanglewood Dr. Independence, OH 44131 800-524-3492 Check National Gardening magazines July/August 1997 issue (out soon)for a story on water gardening too!! (