The Q&A Archives: Converting a Dirt Driveway into Tomato Garden

Question: I am making a new garden from part of my driveway which was dirt covered with stones. If I rake the stones back, should I use topsoil to build the bed for planting, or should it be a mixture of something? About how deep? It will be mainly for tomato plants and possibly some other vegetables. Thanks. Bill Anderson Magnolia, NJ

Answer: You can certainly bring in topsoil to improve your existing soil. Still, you will need to loosen up the exitsting soil, since it will be compacted from having been driven over. If you decide to go with your existing soil, loosen it up, preferably to a depth of about 8"; then till in plenty of compost or other organic matter. The resulting bed should be well-mixed and also drain well. You should space the tomatoes about 18" apart, adding some fertilizer to each hole. Provide some kind of support for them--either a stake or tomato cage--when you transplant them. After planting keep them well-watered and mulch them well. Side dress them with 5-10-10 after the first fruits are set. Keep a watch for pests.