The Q&A Archives: Resources for Growing Tropicals in TX

Question: We have recently moved to what is considered the North Dallas area. I am finding mostly red clay soil and conditions I have not dealt with before. While living in Honolulu HI I grew to love and admire all the tropical plants and orchids. I wish to growthem here, but was wondering if I do container planting if I can put them out in the heat of the sun with adequate watering the humdity is usually quiet high here so I do not think it would be too much of a porblem for me to try this during the very warm months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Melissa Kubecki Lewisville, TX

Answer: Whenever you try to grow plants outside of their native habitat, you take a risk. You may, indeed be able to grow some of your favorite tropicals, but I would do some research first. Stokes Tropicals, in New Iberia, Louisiana, might be able to offer some appropriate plants, and tips for growing them. Their number is 1-800-624-9706, or look for them on the web at Brudy's Exotics in Houston is another good source for you. Their number is 800-926-7333, web site is You might want to contact your local Cooperative Extension agent; they may have some information on plants for your region. Their number is 817/566-3607.