The Q&A Archives: Rabbits Digging Holes

Question: I have had holes dug in my lawn by rabbits and I would like to know how to patch these holes up. I've already taken steps to have a rabbit proof fence erected but need to know about the lawn.

Answer: Interestingly, rabbits don't actually dig holes; rather, they build their burrows, or warrens, in the abandoned tunnels of other animals such as woodchucks. To deter rabbits, remove brush piles and weedy areas, which provide hiding places. Some gardeners report success using the sprays made expressly for this purpose and predator urines; some also report success with home-made garlic and/or pepper sprays. Your best bet, in the long run, is the fence. Once you think the rabbits are gone, you can fill in the holes in the lawn.