The Q&A Archives: Jacaranda Maturity

Question: I live outside of Phoenix in Arizona. We have two jacaranda trees that we planted in October from 15 gallon containers. They had a huge growth spurt, and they are about nine to ten feet tall. How long does it take before they get to be full grown (large enough for shade)? And since it is so young will it flower this year?

In short, I'd guess 5 years for significant shade, 20 years to maturity, and they should/could flower anytime. Let me explain.

Questions about how fast trees grow are tough because there are so many variables. Based on my experience, I'd place Jacaranda trees in the "medium to fast" growth rate range. Therefore I'm guessing they'll be large enough to cast significant shade in 5 years or so. "Mature" is another matter. Since jacaranda trees can live to be 50 to 75 years old (confession: another guess) and anywhere between 30 and 50 feet high, I'd allow the trees 20 years, plus or minus, before considering them mature.

Will they flower this year? Most jacaranda trees have flowered by now, that is, by April. On the other hand, many are propagated by seed so they show natural variability: A few flower in summer, and some even in fall. I've seen jacaranda's in their nursery containers flower so age and size are not determining factors.

The only way to know for sure when yours flower is by seeing them in flower and noting the month or season. The only way to know for sure how much they flower is again, by seeing it.

I wish the answers could be more precise, but I hope this helps.