The Q&A Archives: Redbud Tree Information

Question: While vacationing in Williamsburg Va. I saw a tree that I was told is a redbud tree. I am unable to find any information about. Please help!

Answer: Redbud or Cercis canadensis is a native tree that grows well over a wide range of conditions and climates, USDA zones 4 to 9. It is adaptable to sun or partial shade and tolerates many soil types except soggy conditions. It will develop a rounded shape in full sun but will be irregularly shaped in a shady location. Mature size would be in the twenty five to thirty foot range for both height and width. The summer foliage is a nice clean green, the large heart shaped leaves may turn yellow in the fall or may simply turn brown. It should do well in Pennsylvania.