The Q&A Archives: Pansy Lifespan

Question: I live in Oregon in the valley where temperatures are pretty mild and just planted some pansies (in mid April). I was wondering how long I should expect them to last. They have morning sun and shade rest of the day. During summer temperatures average in the high 70's to 80's.

Answer: Pansies grow best in the cool spring and autumn months so expect your plants to perform well until the temperatures climb to about 75F. You can keep them blooming for a long period of time if you pinch off the flowers and stems as the flowers begin to wilt. If you allow seeds to form the plant will eventually stop blooming and put all of its energy into producing seeds. Here in the Pacific Northwest we think of pansies as either early spring or early fall annuals. Expect about 10-12 weeks of performance from your plants.