The Q&A Archives: Tips on Growing Garlic

Question: My garlic just doesn't look good. I planted many different strains last October (zone 5 ) after I had dug my potatoes. I planted two rows about 40 ft.long. The elephant garlic looks O.K. The rest looks as if it were dumped on the trash pile and just grew. It's not a good green color, the tips seem burned, some didn't even take root. I don't use much commercial fertilizer. My soil Ph is in 6-5 range, sandy loam well-drained. What should I do? I have replanted about twenty cloves. B

Answer: Your "sick" garlic may need a little solible nitrogen fertilizer in the form of fish emulsion to get it perked up and growing. Also, if it hasn't been raining much this spring in your area, consider giving the plants water. The garlic should be sent roots down last fall. Did you mulch over winter? The mulch will prevent the heaving of the bulbs out of the ground. For now, I'd just stick them back in and pamper the rest.