The Q&A Archives: Herbicide In Butterfly Garden

Question: I am in the process of building a perennial and annual butterfly garden and I'm having a hard time keeping the bermuda grass out even though I have mulched heavily. I know that I shouldn't use pesticide in a butterfly garden but is it okay to use herbicide on the grass? I don't want to harm the butterflys. Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer: Bermuda grass is very difficult to control once it is in a flower bed. Ideally it would be eliminated prior to planting, but at this point you can try to kill it individually by using an herbicide containing glyphosate. You may find that the wipe-on application method is more precise than a spray application. Be very careful to follow the instructions because this will kill your flowers if it contacts them. Once it is dry, the herbicide would not affect the butterflies, and larva would be predominently on other plants.