The Q&A Archives: Slowing Tulip Bloom

Question: I potted some tulip bulbs late in the winter and let them start their roots, moved them outside and now some are ready to bloom and some are blooming. I would like to hold them up a week or so for my wedding on May 17. Is there anything I can do toslow them down at this point. I have moved some into the shade. Tamara Poling Columbus, OH

Answer: Although I can't guarantee that your tulips will last until your wedding day, I have a few suggestions that should make them last as long as possible. I would bring the pots of flowers into a sheltered area, the coolest place you can find that still provides some light. Perhaps a cool basement, or a shed? The coolness will slow down the flowering process, and you want to keep the plants protected from wind and rainstorms. Since the flowers that have already opened probably won't last the eightdays on the plant, I would try cutting them and placing them in a vase in water in your refrigerator. Note how florists keep cut flowers in a cooler. I hope they last for you! Have a wonderful wedding day!