The Q&A Archives: Black Spot of English Ivy

Question: For the third year in a row, what I believe to be 'black spot' is killing English Ivy in our neighborhood. Still the ivy hangs on. What can I do to stop the spread of this problem? We have huge amounts of ivy all around, mostly in shade.

Answer: There are both bacterial and fungal leaf spot diseases that afflict English ivy. The shade is probably a big factor -- without sun to help dry leaf surfaces, these diseases can become entrenched. Thinning the vines to increase air circulation might help a bit, but before you procede with any control measure, have the disease properly diagnosed by your county extension office (ph# 358-6400). They can help you decide which control measures to use. You may find that the ivy just won't thrive in the hot, humid shade, and you'd be better off with a different vining plant to take its place. Best of luck!