The Q&A Archives: Moving Large Established Wisteria Plant

Question: I have an established large wisteria that had poor blooms until it bloomed on three separate times in the summer of 1999. The blooms were large and full and quite delightful. Now we find that we have to sell our home and we are moving to central FL. My daughter wants to move the bush to her home. Can this be done? It has taken at least 10 yrs to get anything from this plant.

Answer: Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to dig up a wisteria's root system although I can certainly understand why you would want to try! Instead, you might try purchasing a wisteria that has been grafted rather than grown from seed and, to be certain, purchase it when it is in bloom. You should also check to make sure that wisteria grows in the part of Florida where you will be; the southern half of the state tends to be too warm for the plant.