The Q&A Archives: Plants and Puppies

Question: Is any part of the birdhouse gourd and its vine toxic to dogs? I would like to grow the vines on our kennel if it is safe for our puppy who chews on everything. Please advise. Thank You.

Answer: I have never heard anything about gourd plants, or any other member of the squash family, being poisonous. I suspect that even a non-poisonous plant, if eaten in excess, could cause stomach problems. But most squash family plants have prickly leaves and stems, so I suspect that after one bite your puppy will avoid the plant. Here are two sites that list poisonous plants.

One thing I noticed with my dog is he liked to be able to see what was going on around him, so I suggest you not let the vine obscure your puppy's vision too much. (He went a little nutty one time when he was in the car and a heavy snowstorm obscured the windows.)

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"