The Q&A Archives: Transplanting New Plants Grown From Seed

Question: I started some plants by seed in February. All are in individual 6 cell packs. Some are looking "leggy" and I was wondering if I could transplant them into a container that is a bigger size. I have grown four o clocks, gazania, forget me nots, and foxgloves.

Answer: You can certainly transplant your seedlings to larger pots. It might be time to plant them outdoors - if the weather's warm enough. Otherwise, transplant them into larger containers and provide as much bright light as you can. All of the plants you've listed love to bask in the sunshine. Place them in a west or south-facing window, or use fluorescent lights to supplement natural daylight. Keep the lights only 2" from the tops of the plants, living the lights on 14-16 hours each day. Once your seedlings begin getting the light they crave, they'll become stout, sturdy little plants.