The Q&A Archives: Help For Hydrangas

Question: Recently I bought 2 beautiful hydrangas. I've treated them equally, however, one plant's not thriving like the other. All but one of its clusters of flowers are closed and wilted. I've transplanted them into pots for our lanai. Now I need some general care and plant information for future reference.

Answer: I'd venture that your hydrangea is suffering from transplanting shock, usually just a temporary condition, and one that a healthy plant can overcome. Hydrangea's seem to wilt during the hottest part of the day in my garden, then perk up by the next morning. This is just the plant's way of conserving water, and it's a perfectly natural reaction to hot weather.

Hydrangeas prefer full sun or partial shade, and do best in a moist but well-drained soil. Water your plants regularly and prune after bloom to encourage new shoots which will produce flowers the following year.