The Q&A Archives: Tips on Planting Seed Potatoes

Question: I ve never planted seed potatoes before. I purchased Red Viking. Do I plant the potatoes whole or what? Nancy Scranton, PA

Answer: What matters when planting potatoes is how many "eyes" the tuber has. The eyes are where the sprouts that become above-ground parts emerge. Generally, a tuber or piece of tuber needs 2-3 eyes to grow well. If you can detect 5-6 living eyes on a potato,cut it so there are 2-3 eyes per piece. You don't HAVE to cut them, though - they can be planted whole. Most gardeners cut them to create more "seed", but if you have lots of potatoes and little space, put them in whole. Make furrows in the soil and plant them 12"-18" apart in rows 18"-24" apart, and cover the seed with 2" of soil. As the vines grow, hill soil up around the base of the plant, as this will encourage more potato tubers to form from the covered stems.