The Q&A Archives: Waiting For The Asparagus

Question: I started an asparagus bed last year with burpee purple passion one year olds. Last season, 95% of the plants came to life and experienced good growth. This spring, I've had one spear break ground a week and a half ago and hasn't really grown since. The other twenty or so plants have shown no activity at all. It is now April 19th. I thought that asparagus liked the colder weather and grew more in the early spring. Am I expecting to much to soon?

Answer: Before you worry, you might want to check with other gardeners in your area and see if their asparagus is up and growing. I would suspect that the first spear you saw was from a crown that is planted slightly shallower than the others or for some reason is slightly precocious.