The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Bulbs

Question: I am transplanting some tiger lilies and irises from a friend's yard to my own, the leaves have already come up but they haven't bloomed yet. Any precautions I should take?

Answer: When you dig the tiger lilies, take as large a rootball as possible so that the roots below the bulb are also transpalnted. Make sure they are watered well the day before you dig them, replant immediately, and water them in well to settle the soil. Replant them at the same depth as they grew before.

Iris can be transplanted in the spring but it may cause them to skip blooming that year, so it is traditional to move them in the summer about a month after they have bloomed. When you plant the rhizomes, make sure they are no deeper than they were originally.