The Q&A Archives: Small Tulip Bulbs that Didn't Bloom

Question: I planted some tulip bulbs last year. They were small bulbs and this year they didn't flower. They all have a single large leaf, but no buds. Will they flower next year? Normally, they multiply dependably. George Shamblin Fox Lake, IL

Answer: I just want to clarify your question--you planted the bulbs last fall, and this year you got only single leaves and no blooms? You mention that they were small bulbs. Were they Burpee bulbs? If so, call the customer service number (1-800-888-1447) to discuss a refund or replacement. If they were not Burpee, but rather a "bargain" bulb, note that bulbs are one area where you indeed get what you pay for. Generally, the first year's show is the best for tulips; then, each succeeding year the flowers get smaller and fewer. Unlike daffodils and crocuses, they don't multiply and spread reliably. So it's best to buy larger, high quality bulbs to guarantee that first year's show. If yours didn't flower this year, they probably won't gather the strength to flower next year. I would contact the company that you purchased them from.