The Q&A Archives: Wilting Snow On The Mountain

Question: I have snow on the mountain growing as a ground cover. Every year it starts out beautifully and about mid-July it turns brown, the plants appear to wilt into mush but new growth appears unharmed and comes back the next year. Can you tell me what might be wrong?

Answer: Based on your description I would suspect that hot dry weather is causing it to die back and go dormant. This is a very tough plant, so although it may not die due to heat and drought, it does suffer. Another possibility is that there is a fungus or disease problem which appears in hot humid weather, again not enough to kill it. If you suspect this, you might take a sample to your county extension (858-0885) for a diagnosis and suggested remedy.