The Q&A Archives: Apartment Garden

Question: I want to start a garden on my 50ft terrace in new york city, but know nothing about gardening, What supplies would you suggest for a novice(i want it to be colorful and also want to plant herbs)?

Answer: There are many annual flowering plants that will thrive in a container garden as well as many herbs such as chives, thyme, oregano, parsley, rosemary and during cool weather, dill and cilantro. For the best results, you will need to assess the growing conditions in terms of sun and shade and especially important, wind. Then you can select plants suited to the conditions you have to offer. Container growing can be very rewarding, but it does take some experimentation to find out which plants will do best in your location. Since you are a novice, you might want to take a look at a book or two about container gardening. One I particularly like is "Container Gardening for Dummies" by Bill Marken, ISBN 0-7645-5057-8, Dummy Press. In it you will find straightforward instructions on materials, equipment, tools, potting mixes, fertilizers, plants, and of course, site evaluation. Enjoy your new garden!