The Q&A Archives: Non-Blooming Wisteria

Question: I planted a 5 ft tall wisteria in my yard 2 years ago and it grows great and is very hardy but it has never bloomed. Is there something wrong or something I can do to encourage it?

Answer: Wisteria can be so stubborn! But you're in good company. Many folks have difficulty getting wisteria to produce flowers. Proper pruning can help achieve your goal. A few other tips to keep in mind: Remember that wisteria needs full sun, and, if you have an unnamed seedling rather than a grafted variety, it may take decades to achieve bloom! When fertilizing wisteria, be careful with your choice of fertilizers, I stick to a superphosphate. Now, for the pruning: All through the summer, prune out the tips of all new shoots when they reach 12" long. In the winter, shorten the shoots again so that about 6 buds remain on each shoot. Cut away all suckers that appear at the base of the plant.

Hope your wisteria blooms this season!