The Q&A Archives: Curled And Contorted Leaves On Hostas

Question: After having successfully growing giant hostas in our front lawn (southern exposure), this year they are coming up contorted and almost look as though they are being eaten! It is very early for these plants, and I am worried that I will lose them, please help. They always have beautiful white flowers in late spring, and I haven't found anything comparable in the nurseries in our area. I don't want to lose them! Thanks for any help you can send.

Answer: There are several possible causes for distortion. One would be freeze damage, another would be slug damage or deer or other critter munching, and another would be a disease problem. If you suspect the latter, you might want to take a sample to your county extension (727-7850) for identification and a suggested control for it. The other problems, while unsightly, should not cause permanent harm unless the foliage is repeatedly destroyed.