The Q&A Archives: Mulch on a Budget

Question: I am on my second time vegetable garden. I need help! I am trying to find good mulch for my small backyard garden. When I go to the local nurseries they tell me that the straw is loaded with weed seed and I will have a bigger weed problem than with no mulch at all. I end up buying cypress mulch. Please tell me which is my best bet. Teresa Carr (novice gardener) Oklahoma City, OK

Answer: It's free, it's abundant, but it isn't pretty: layers of newspaper or corrugated cardboard make great, effective and water-permeable mulch! I put a little straw over mine to make it more attractive, and as long as you are consistent about mulching year after year, any seeds that are introduced by the straw will be supressed. You can easily pull up those that come up around the mulch. You can also use a thick layer grass clippings or shredded leaves.