The Q&A Archives: Transplanting from New Jersey to Florida

Question: I'll be moving from New Jersey to Tampa, Florida the end of May. I would like to bring my rose bushes and perennials with me. Is it safe to take them or should I just leave them here?

Answer: Moving and leaving plants behind is always a hard thing to contemplate! Many roses seem to do well in Florida, but many of the more common perennials find the climate there too hot in summer and not cold enough in winter. The best time to transplant roses is very early spring or in the fall; the reason for this is to allow the roots time to reestablish before the stress of the summer heat. Since gardening is so different in Florida and you are bound to discover many new plants that thrive in that climate, you might rather start with a new selection when you get there.