The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Voles

Question: I live in a wooded area with lots of leaves and leaf mulch over the whole property. How can I eliminate voles which are eating everything from my prize hosta beds to dogwood trees 6 inches in diameter? It is impossible to eliminate the leaves because after cleaning the beds they will blow back in with the first heavy wind. And the leaves are always there because my property is considered mature wooded so there are big trees everywhere and always lots of leaves. The problem seems to be especially bad just at this time of the year, right before the growing season really gets going.

Answer: Unfortunately, the best solution might be to trap them. Voles tend to eat roots, so I would not be surprised if there are rabbits at work as well. You might be able to use fencing in some instances to protect certain areas or specific plants, and repellents, either home-made garlic and/or pepper based sprays or the commercial sprays, might help for preventing some of the above ground damage. Some gardeners report that a pet cat or dog can also serve as a deterrent. The native predators such as owls, foxes, snakes and hawks help out as well.