The Q&A Archives: Controlling Aphids on Moonflower

Question: I bought a moonflower plant at a local nursery and found it had aphids. I sprayed lightly with an aphid spray because the plant was young but shortly they appreared again. Next I planted marigolds to run those little suckers off and now my poor plantis down to 1/2 " and looking quite sad. Any suggestions if it can be saved or if I buy another, elsewhere, how to handle it? Folks just keep raving about them and I would love to give it a try. Thanks. Pat Weaver Weaverville, NC

Answer: It sounds like the poor sprout has had a hard life so far! I suggest leaving it there, treating it well, and seeing what happens, but in the meantime you may want to start your own from seed. They are easy to grow, and you hopefully will avoid the aphid problem if you grow them yourself. You'll find seed of Moonflower 'Giant White' offered on pg. 39 of the Burpee Spring catalog. Also, you may want to let the local nursery know about the problem with the aphids. Feedback is always helpful, and they may be willing to offer you some compensation. Your extension service may be able to suggest a "cleaner" source of plants in the area - call 704-255-5522 for suggestions.