The Q&A Archives: Forsythia Wilt After Flowering

Question: Our Forsythia hedge is 4 yrs old. Very healthy until
now. After normal flowering this spring all
plants have a few branches of healthy leaves, but most are stunted and then withering. Couldn't find
answer in your Ortho
problem book.

Answer: Based on your description I am not sure what is happening to your plants. Forsythia is usually fairly trouble free, and the symptoms do not immediately identify anything specific. You might consider if there has been a change in drainage patterns that might cause flooding at the root zone, if there is any possibility of damage in the root zone, or if there is a chance of accidental herbicide drift or contact or some other unusual occurrence or change. Also, examine the plants closely for signs of insects or fungal infection. You might wish to take a sample to your county extension (989-6830) for a more definite diagnosis and suggested remedies. I'm sorry about your hedge!