The Q&A Archives: Care For Jade Plant

Question: I have this Jade plant in the house. It was given to me last year during summer time. It flourished during these past few months. About a month and half ago it started to loose its leaves, brnached. I have tried soil, watering schedule with no luck. What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

Answer: Jade trees grow best in very bright light with a soil that is well drained, meaning not soggy. Water it well, then allow the soil surface to dry before watering it again. They also do better in a location with good air circulation. Overwatering (or underwatering) can cause the problems you described, as can overfertilizing which leads to overly soft growth. Jade plants may also suffer from insects and fungus, especially if overwatered. You might examine the plant very carefully for signs of either of these.