The Q&A Archives: Non-Blooming Trumpet Vine

Question: I have a trumpet vine that is 2 years old. It only has produced 3 or 4 flowers over the last 2 years. It seems to bloom right at the end of our growing season and the frost kills it before I can enjoy it. Is this the worng type of vine for our area or is there another problem? Also, I have to cut it to the ground each fall.

Answer: Brugmansia, or trumpet vine, is marginal in your climate. It needs direct sunshine and would probably do better in your region if it were planted against a south or west facing wall where it could receive reflected heat. Without a long, warm summer, it will refuse to bloom. You might consider potting it up and taking it indoors over the winter months, then placing it outdoors in the summer time.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"