The Q&A Archives: Deer Eating Vegetables

Question: I have a terraced vegetable garden that has been ravaged by deer the past few years. This year I'm determined to fight back. Options I'm considering are: electric fence, motion detectors (which will shine lights, make high-pitched sounds, or spray water), or staking the dog next to the garden(probably not a good idea with mountain lions in the neighborhood). Can you make a recommendation about which of these might be most effective? Or suggest other ideas?

Answer: Many gardeners use the repellant sprays with varying success, but they must be applied and reapplied according to the instructions in order to be as effective as possible. There are also many home remedies such as using soap, blood meal, human hair and so on, but in my experience the only truly reliable solution is a fence.

Deerbusters ( offers a fence and solar battery along with several different options.

Hope you outwit those rascals!