The Q&A Archives: No Leaves On Dogwood

Question: Last year I planted two kousa (Cornus kousa chinensis)dogwood trees from the Springhill gardening catalog. They were appx 3' tall and started getting leaves right away. They looked fine in the fall.
Right now they do not have a single leaf on them. Their branches are nice and flexible and do not look dead. Just no leaves on either tree.
I planted them in shady spots with sprinkled sunlight. Do you think they need more sun, or are'nt they going to make it? What should I do?

Answer: Kousa dogwoods prefer more sunlight than our native dogwoods, and in fact can be grown in full sun. This may account for a later start in the spring, as can a cooler microclimate in general. As long as the stems look healthy, it would seem patience is still in order.