The Q&A Archives: Replanting And Pruning Hydrangea Out Of Season

Question: I was forced to replant my blue hydrangea during this mild winter we had. I think that it survived. There are new buds forming at the base. Should I prune back the old wood now, or wait until the fall. I don't want to do anything wrong, this plant is beautiful and is about 4 feet in height and 3 feet in width. We inherited it when we bought this house 2 years ago.

Answer: This plant will bloom on the old wood, so removing the old stems would remove any possible blooms for this summer. If you were able to transplant it with most of its roots intact, then I would remove about half of them and leave the new growth alone. If you left many of the roots behind, I would remove the old wood and allow just the new growth to develop. Make sure you keep it well watered throughout the growing season while it becomes reestablished, just as you would a newly planted shrub.