The Q&A Archives: Non Winterized Rose Bush

Question: Hi there. Last spring I got my first rose bush, a hybrid tea. When winter came, I didn't know to winterize it. This spring, I went out and pruned it down but my branches are looking brown instead of green. Is there anything I can do to save this bush? Thank you for your help.

Answer: Based on your description, the plant seems to have suffered some winter dieback. It may still sprout from the base of the canes or from the area between the soil and the graft, so don't give up yet. When you do see sprouts, you may want to verify that they are from the graft or above and not from the rootstock. In the meantime, you might give it some compost, well rotted manure, and or rose fertilizer according to the label instructions.