The Q&A Archives: Non-flowering Texas Scarlet Quince(?)

Question: I planted a "Texas Scarlet" Quince (I believe that's what it is). The last word was cut off on the tag when I bought it, but do know it is Texas Scarlet. I planted it about four years ago next to the house/SW side. It has gotten huge and looks very healthy to me, but has never blossomed. Do you have a solution?

Answer: There are several reasons why your shrub may not be blooming. Chaenomeles speciosa (Floweringquince) is a large (up to 10 x 10 feet) shrub hardy into zone 4, but will not tolerate temperatures below about -25 degrees. A windy location or a dry fall can reduce the hardiness. Extreme cold can damage the flower buds, as can late frosts that occur just as the buds are swelling. Pruning in early spring can also hinder flowering by removing the buds which are set on the previous year's wood. Finally, as with many flowering shrubs, it can take several years for the plant to become established, mature and begin blooming in earnest. Maybe this will be the year for your "Texas Scarlet" -- it is considered one of the best reds and is known for its compact spreading habit!