The Q&A Archives: Indoor Azalea

Question: I bought two azalea bushes in pots in December from a local nursery. One plant seems to be doing ok, although it is no longer blooming. The other plant is dropping its leaves. Both have the same light source and receive the same amount of water. What is the correct way to care for potted azaleas? I was hoping to plant them in the spring.What should the soil be? Wet/moist/dry? What sort of light should they be in? Directly in a window or away from the windows? Jennifer Paslowski Hamilton Sq., NJ

Answer: You have a greenhouse type of azalea which would probably not survive the winters in New Jersey. These type of azaleas like at least 4 hours of direct or very bright indirect sunlight a day with night temperatures of 40-55 degrees F and day temperatures of 68 degrees F. or lower. Keep the potting medium moist. Fertilize with azalea (acid-type) fertilizer monthly until plants are flowering, then every 2 weeks while they are flowering. You can put them back outside in pots to enjoy the summer weather, but bring them in before frost. Keep then under grow lights to insure flowering next winter..