The Q&A Archives: How To Kill Perenial Sunflower

Question: I have sunflowers in my flower bed that I can't get rid of. When I moved here they were already planted. I have dug all the roots out but they still manage to come back. Since I did'nt plant them I'm not exactly sure what type it is but I believe it's called Jerusalem artichoke. They grow to be between 8ft to 12ft in height with a small yellow flower that blooms in late summer an a large,long,thick root.I have tried the past three summers to get rid of it with out any luck so I'm open to any suggestions.

Answer: Your description sounds like Jerusalem artichoke, Helianthus tuberosus. They spread readily from the underground tubers and can become a pest once established. The best way to get rid of it is to keep digging out every bit of tuber/root as soon as you see any greenery above ground, as it can spread from small bits.