The Q&A Archives: Color Of Lilacs

Question: I am looking for a very deep purple lilac and also a pink one but I do not know what names to look for. For instance I have heard of Syringa Ludwig Spaeth and Charles Joly (as well as others) but I do not know what color these are or what name I should be looking for. Do you have anything with pictures by the various names or know anywhere else on the net I could find this? Have been unsuccessful so far.

Answer: Unfortunately we are unable to mail pictures or materials. However, you may find many photos and decriptions of different lilacs by doing an internet search using the Latin Name "syringa" as your search term. Here is one selection of photos to get you started: ( ) The Wayside Gardens catalog also features a number of selected lilacs including a photo of "Andenken an Ludwig Spaeth" as well as what they consider to be the purest pink, "Miss Canada". (800-845-1124) or ( ) Please, note however, that photo qualities vary and, as with so many plants, there is no substitute for seeing the color in person.