The Q&A Archives: What Is This Growing In My Garden

Question: I have a picture if it will help.

My husband and I bought a house late last summer and now this spring we have many perennials and bulbs that are sprouting up. I have been able to identify many of them but am having trouble identifiying this one. I have 5 bunches of these plants/flowers growing in differant flower beds around the house and would like to try and figure out what they are. They are coming up in a round "bunch" and look kind of like green horns growing out of the ground. The horns very in size and look like they have a hollow tip so I'm assuming they are growing some type of tube. My mother thinks that they may be calla lilies but we are in zone 3/4... Please help. I do have a photo that I can email.

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated

Answer: Based on your description, I suspect these may be hostas in the early stages of growth -- the horns and tubes should unfurl and open into large flat leaves. I hope I am right because otherwise it's a somewhat scary mental image!