The Q&A Archives: Fuchsia Care

Question: We bought some beautiful Fuchsia Dark Eyes, and have them in a hanging basket on our deck. How often do we water them, and how much water? Do we soak them and let the water run through the basket? They are mostly in the shade, but not sure how to water and care for these beautiful plants. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer: Fuchsia's look spectacular in hanging baskets! They will require lots of water during the growing season. I water my hanging baskets daily, applying enough water to thoroughly soak the soil, until it runs out the drainage holes. Once every two weeks I immerse the hanging basket in a large container of water until bubbles stop coming to the surface. This drives air pockets out and ensures the soil is completely wet. Feed your fuchsia's every week with a quarter strength dilution of liquid fertilizer. Be sure to pinch the stems back throughout the season to promote bushyness and increase the number of blooms. Enjoy your fuchsia's!