The Q&A Archives: Patio Borders

Question: Am building a patio and would like some ideas on bordering plants or flowers.Will also need to plant some bushes for privacy.Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Answer: It is difficult to suggest plants without knowing if it will be sunny or shady, wet or drysoil and so on. However, you might consider some shorter shrubs along with a small flowering tree underplanted with a groundcover and perhaps some containers of colorful annuals. In terms of creating privacy, it is often more effective to plant a larger shrub very close to where you are sitting than to plant a hedge further out in the yard. For the same reason, a trellis panel with a vine can be more effective and makes very efficient use of space. I hope this gives you some ideas; for specifics on how to analyze your site and some more detailed plant suggestions, you might want to take a look at a book or two, one I particularly like is "Gardening for Dummies".