The Q&A Archives: Green Rhubarb

Question: Every year my rhubarb comes up green. I've
added new plants from time to time over the years, but come spring, when they start growing, they're green, not red. what am i doing wrong? We're big fans of this unusual plant and I want to get it right!

Answer: Rhubarb is generally not very successful in the southern regions of the United States where summers are hot and dry. If it does survive the heat it usually will produce only thin leaf stalks which are spindly and lack color. Rhubarb is a cool season, perennial crop. It requires temperatures below 40? F to break dormancy and to stimulate spring growth, plus summer temperatures averaging less than 75? F for vigorous vegetative growth. If you're really a fan of rhubarb you can continue to grow it, with the understanding that most years the stalks will remain green.