The Q&A Archives: Salvia - Flare: Possible Leaf Disease

Question: I have been starting some of my flowers indoors this year and recently noticed a discoloration in the leaves on the Salvia - Flare plants. The leaves are starting to turn white/yellow. There does not appear to be any wilting at this point. What could be causing this? What can I do to save the plants before it is too late?

Answer: Salvias tend to resent being held too long under indoor conditions, so you may be seeing some stress. Make sure that they are in large enough pots to accommodate their roots systems and that they are receiving ample light. Also make sure they are receiving sufficient nutrients. By now, you should be hardening them off in preparation for planting outdoors, so the sooner they are in the ground, the better.